Monthly information sessions and local pop up events
Each month, our team hold information sessions about being a Burdekin Foster Carer. At the session we will take interested potential carers through all the information and answer questions. Please register your interest or share this post with somebody who might be keen. Here are our monthly dates.
In addition to monthly sessions we are popping up at local events – you might have seen us recently at the Marrickville Justice Fair and the Marrickville Organic Markets – thanks to those of you who dropped by and said hi. We will keep you posted about future events as it is a great opportunity to find out some information, pick up a flyer and chat to a real person about what is involved in being a Burdekin Foster Carer.
Have you ever considered becoming a foster carer?
You may have considered fostering a child in the past and have been hesitant for many reasons. Common reasons that hold people back might be:
- Concerns about disruptions to your life/ your children’s life
- Concerns about it being too challenging
- Concerns about not having the right skills or personality
- You might be worried about the behavioural challenges of a child who has suffered trauma
- You might be concerned about relations with the biological family
- You might be worried about becoming too attached/not attached
- You might worried that you won’t be able to stick it out or will want to quit
Our team knows this – they know how you feel, they have been there too.
- Talking about becoming a foster carer doesn’t mean that you have to go through with it
- Attending information sessions doesn’t mean that you have to go through with it
- You can start off slow – with emergency or respite care
- Becoming a Burdekin Foster Carer is different to other types of foster care because you have a whole team of support behind you to work with you and the child or young person
Our team are ready to support you through your initial inquiries with no expectations.
For more information about becoming a Carer please contact our Carer Support Coordinators:
Sarah Inner West | Kerrie Northern Beaches