Therapeutic Specialist


Therapeutic Specialist - Sydney

Sydney CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs
Community Services & Development
Child Welfare, Youth & Family Services
$92,000-$96,000 + Superannuation + Salary Package - Full time

SCHADS Industry Award 2010 Level 6 & salary packaging

The Company

The Burdekin Association ( is a community-based not-for-profit organisation. We aim to prevent youth homelessness and family breakdown by providing a range of innovative accommodation, care and support services to young people aged between 9 and 24 and their families on Sydney’s Northern Beaches and Inner West suburbs.

About this role - Therapeutic Specialist

The Therapeutic Specialist has responsibility for the therapeutic plans of children and young people as well as for the facilitation of care team meetings, assessment, formulation and service coordination. In addition, The Therapeutic Specialist will meet with clients to provide brief and/or ongoing therapy or intervention if in the child’s best interests.


The Therapeutic Specialist will:

    • Provide clinical expertise in trauma-informed therapeutic care
    • Participate in learning and development activities including practice supervision
    • Review, maintain and implement the organisation’s Therapeutic Framework
    • Lead the development and regular review of client Behaviour Support Plans
    • Mentor and support case managers, youth workers and others within the organisation.
    • Provide brief interventions and/or therapy to clients where appropriate.
    • Be responsible for transferring therapeutic knowledge into their organisation including facilitation of monthly reflective practice sessions for direct care staff
    • Work in community-based settings to prevent the breakdown of OOHC placements
    • Work with program managers and staff to ensure consistent application of the organisation’s Therapeutic Framework

The Therapeutic Specialist will ensure that consistent quality therapeutic care is delivered to children and young people across Burdekin’s services. The Therapeutic Specialist will communicate with case managers, Team Leaders and Managers to monitor the wellbeing, progress, change of circumstances and outcomes of children and young people.

Essential Criteria:

  • Tertiary qualification in Psychology, Social Work, Social Sciences or similar.
  • A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Therapeutic Care setting or working in clinical environment with children and young people in OOHC.
  • An ability to select and utilise relevant theoretical frameworks and tools in formulating suitable psychosocial assessments of children and young people and the ability to work with Care Managers and youth workers to implement therapeutic interventions
  • Knowledge of the issues faced by children and young people (12-24) in the Out of Home Care and wider Child Protection sectors
  • Understanding of the actions required to maintain a safe working and living environment for service users, staff members, and others visiting the residential setting
  • Current registration with the professional body relevant to their qualification.
  • High Level interpersonal, conflict resolution, assessment and problem solving skills.
  • Current Working with Children Check and National Police Check.
  • Current NSW Driver’s Licence.
  • Able to provide a cleared National Police Check
  • Able to provide a current Working with Children Check (paid work clearance)
  • Current driver’s license and a comprehensively insured vehicle
  • Eligible to work in Australia

To apply for this role, you are required to submit your resume and a cover letter addressing the essential criteria.

The Burdekin Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Applications are encouraged from people with culturally & linguistically diverse and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Island indigenous backgrounds. 

Employer questions

Your application will include the following questions:
  • Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?
  • Do you have a current Police Check (National Police Certificate) for employment?
  • Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in Australia?
  • Which of the following statements best describes your Covid-19 vaccination status?